Seniors face issues that complicate return preparation and planning. For example, when to apply for social security? How is it taxed? What if they continue to work? Will an increased standard deduction affect charitable planning? Will downsizing affect interest and property tax deductions and payments? How can they help children or grandchildren pay for a home or a college education?
• Recognize the effect of Social Security on retirement
• Identify strategies for tax-deductible expenditures
• Determine how retirement distribution requirements can impact the overall retirement strategy
• Identify alternatives to achieve family objectives
• Income for seniors: earned and investment
• Deductions: bunching, tracing, minimizing
• Effect of income tax strategies on an estate plan
Experience in individual tax preparation and planning. General knowledge of social security and other retirement vehicles.
Staff at all levels focused on planning and financial planners recommending retirement strategies.