This course will cover advanced techniques related to income, gift and estate tax planning using trusts, especially the use of irrevocable trusts. Topics include creating irrevocable trusts without losing control over the assets placed into the trust, retaining the ability to unwind the trust, and drafting irrevocable trusts that are defective for income and transfer tax purposes. Additionally, you'll learn about the use of irrevocable trusts for state income tax planning (ING trusts), federal estate tax planning (focusing on IDGTs), asset protection (domestic and offshore trusts), using trusts to qualify for government benefits, international estate planning and pre-immigration tax planning.
• Identify income tax, gift tax and estate tax aspects of various types of trusts.
• Recognize how to avoid Proposition 13 reassessment and how to avoid the trigger of the due on sale clause.
• Recall estate planning and asset protection planning uses of different trusts.
• Identify advanced tax, estate, succession, retirement, special needs and asset protection planning using trusts.
• Recognize common obstacles and pitfalls, such as selection of trustee and property tax reassessment, and how to plan around them.
• Trust obstacles and pitfalls
• Revoking irrevocable trusts
• Trust protectors
• Estate planning through trusts
• Tax planning with trusts
• INGs and IDGTs
• Asset protection through domestic and foreign trusts