Combatting today’s cybercriminals takes everyone working together. The Internal Revenue Service works with state tax agencies and the tax industry to fight these 21st-century identity thieves. Unfortunately, data thefts at tax professionals’ offices are on the rise. Online providers also must follow the six security and privacy standards in Publication 1345, Handbook for Authorized IRS e-file Providers of Individual Income Tax Returns. In addition, you fall under the PTIN and 4557 mandates if you prepare tax returns. Learn how to fulfill your obligations by participating in this session.
• List examples of basic security steps and how to take them
• Identify the signs of data theft and how to report data theft
• List examples of how to respond and recover from a data loss
• Identify examples of specific compliance issues found in the FTC Safeguards Rule
• Understand the need to protect client data
• Learn about the required security and privacy standards
• Leave with a sample plan to consider your tax practice