Gain a fundamental understanding of various opportunities in the litigation services industry and how to develop this practice area.
• Develop a basic understanding of the opportunities and risks with this specialty and how to go about setting up this practice area.
• Opportunities: a shortage of qualified experts, higher billing rates, non-seasonal work, value-added services, fewer fee pressures and many different subspecialties.
• Challenges: constant marketing, significant continuing education requirements, balancing with compliance services, cost of research materials and conflicts of interests.
• Specialized services including valuation, damages, fraud, bankruptcy and family law.
• Understanding the difference between being an expert witness and an advocate.
• Depositions and trials